Thursday, September 11, 2014

Remembering September 11

It is hard to believe it has been 13 years since the attacks of September 11, which was 3 years before most of my current students were born.  I always like to spend a little time teaching about the tragic events but also reflecting upon and honoring the lives lost and the heroes made that day.

This year I decided to have my students interview two people the evening before September 11.  I wanted them to gain some background knowledge; but more importantly, I wanted them to recognize that we all remember exactly where we were or what we were doing that morning.  It is a moment forever engraved in our memories.

The kids' discussions about their interviews were awesome.  They were so engaged in hearing what their peers had to report.  We read an article together to give them some more information on the events before watching two videos this morning.  I don't know anyone who doesn't tear up from listening to Alan Jackson's "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning," and my 9/10 year old students were just as moved as I was the first time I listened.  We also watched a news clip about the World Trade Center Memorial's opening on the 10 year anniversary of the attacks.



We wrapped up this morning's discussion with a moment of silence and prayer.  It is moments like this when I am reminded of what a blessing it is to teach at a Catholic school.  In a world that is often scary, we take comfort and trust that our God will protect us. 

Below are the two videos we watched this morning...

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment