Tuesday, April 2, 2013

#classroomtweeting

In the technological age we live in, I have found that social media is an awesome way to get kids excited about learning.  Our Jungle Superstar Facebook page (see post) has proven to be a huge success this year.  The kids love posting messages to the chosen Superstar, and it also allows kids to share accomplishments, family photos, etc.




The kids (and myself) are super excited about our classroom Twitter board!  I have implemented Monday Morning Meetings in the Jungle.  MMM's are a time for the kids to share what is going on in their worlds and a time for me to give announcements, convey upcoming events, etc. 

In true Twitter form, we are following the rule of 140 characters or less per tweet.  We have even started "hashtagging" our tweets.  I love getting to hear a little bit about each of my students at the beggining of each week.  Monday Morning Meetings allow the kids to share and also focus on word choice in writing.  With only being allowed to use 140 characters or less, they have to choose powerful, precise words to convey their message/thought for the day. 

We shared our first tweets this morning, and I was so pleased with their efforts and messages.  Many tweeted about Spring Break, the NCAA tournament, Easter, etc.  I am looking forward to our meeting next Monday already!
Our Classroom Twitter Board


No comments:

Post a Comment