Saturday, October 23, 2010

Better Late Than Never...

On this chilly Fall morning, I've finally sat down to post my first entry of the school year, and it's only October! I am NOT proud of myself for my lack of time I've had to devote to our classroom blog, as it is something that I enjoy creating for my students and parents. My goal is to be a better blogger this quarter!

With our school year well underway, the Jungle Crew has been busy with all sorts of fun and exciting learning experiences. In Reading, I have added a new element to our curriculum, the monthly genre study. Students study a different genre each month and complete a self-selected project to complete on a chosen novel from that specific genre. I usually give 2-3 project options for the students to choose from. In September, we studied biography. Students read a self-selected biography on a person of their choice and could choose from creating a time capsule, dressing up as their person and delivering a speech, or creating a presidential poster about their 'candidate'. Projects were AWESOME! I was thoroughly impressed with my students' efforts. This month, with the genre being sci-fi or fantasy, many 4th graders chose to create a pumpkin character about the main character from their sci-fi/fantasy novel. A couple students chose to create a newspaper about their novel, as well. Again, the projects were nothing short of FABULOUS! Keep up the good work, Jungle-ites!

Indiana salt maps are well underway, and I am anxiously awaiting the finished products to make their way back to The Jungle on November 2! Pictures to come...

As a teacher, each year brings new experiences and challenges to better yourself personally and professionally. I am certain that I do what I do because God knew the classroom was where I could best use the talents He gave me to 'make a difference'. What a difference my students make in my life! I have grown to love this group just like I have my classes in years past. Twenty-one children, each with their own unique talents, greet me each morning...for that alone, I feel truly blessed.

God's Blessings,
Mrs. H

No comments:

Post a Comment